Thursday, November 20, 2008

Marriage and Thanksgiving as described by a 4 year old.

I just had the most hilarious conversation with Ella. As you are reading this, keep in mind that while I'm doing everything in my power not to roll around on the ground in complete hysterics, Ella is totally serious. We were listening to Christmas songs and lying on the living room rug together. This is what ensued:

Ella: Mommy, is Christmas after Thanksgiving?

Me: Yes, Christmas is about a month after Thanksgiving.

Ella: Oh. How many days until Thanksgiving?

Me: Um....about a week. 7 days.

Ella: Are you married?

Me, a little surprised at the sheer randomness: Uh...yes, I am married.

Ella: You're married by Daddy, right?

Me: Well, I wasn't married by Daddy, but yes, I'm married to Daddy.

Ella: Oh. Well, you have to get married to somebody else for Thanksgiving!

Me, stifling laughter: Hmm..Really? What do you mean?

Ella: EVERYBODY gets married by someone else for Thanksgiving!!

Me: Well....remember how we talked about when you get married you promise that person that you'll be married to them forever? A long, long time?

Ella, totally annoyed I didn't get the 'swap marital partners for Thanksgiving' memo: No...you gotta do it for Thanksgiving!

Me: Well, ok Ella, I'll look into that. ::giggles escaping::

Ella: Sighing....I'm married to Emma.

Me, full out laughing: Really? Don't you just mean you and Emma are really good friends?

Ella: No, we're married. You and I are both married.

Me, egging her on: Well...how did you get married?

Ella: We danced. And held hands. Like this.... (demonstrating a slow dance move)

Me, tears streaming down my face: Wow! So, you don't want to wait until you're older to get married? And how about a boy? You want to marry a boy?

Ella, serious as a heart attack: No. I'm married to Emma.

Ella starts to walk away out of sheer irritation at my apparent ignorance

Me:
Hey Ella, how long have you been married?

Ella, yelling from her bedroom: A LOOOOONG TIME!!!

Me: How long?

Ella: A long, long time! a looooooong time! FOUR DAYS!!!

At this point I'm crying from laughing so hard. What a riot! So all you married people out there.....you better be on the lookout for your new spouse!! The clock is ticking!!! LOL!

No comments: